Posted to alt.home.repair
James Lewis

Default Tornado shelter/safe room

I live in Tornada alley (N Tx). Every year about this time I start thinking
about having a storm celler/safe room installed. Common sense tells me an
underground celler provides the best shelter, but they are inconvenient to
get into, especially at night. Also, if a really SAFE room is feasable, it
could be used for storing stuff normally put in the garage. Has anyone built
a safe room in an existing home? If so, do you need to bust up your slab and
sink a deeper concrete base or is there a way to sink enough rebar to anchor
the room even if the house goes to Oklahoma?

What wall/ceiling thickness is needed? Where can a door and hardware be
purchased?

mike