Posted to alt.home.repair
RBM

Default Splicing direct-bury cable

The easiest and U.L. approved method is a direct burial wirenut, like King
one step, I believe Ideal also makes one

wrote in message
ups.com...
I would appreciate any guidance on splicing a shallow direct-bury cable
that feeds an outdoor 120v lighting fixture.

The wire got cut in two places by a backhoe. (This was not a surprise
- the lines weren't marked, their route wasn't obvious and the hand dig
would have cost a fortune.)

My current plan is as follows. Please ding me if I've missed
something.
1. Hand dig trench about one foot deep
2. Cut old cable back to non-backhoe-damaged section and strip
3. Cut two new sections of two conductor plus ground cable
4. Two new sections times two splices = four (4) splices
5. Seal splices against moisture with [not sure] (Heat-shrink?
Rubber cement?)
6. Drop mended cable in trench
7. Fill trench half way
8. Mark trench with [not sure] (Tape? 2x4?)
9. Complete fill of trench