Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Jeff Wisnia

Default Machine Tools on ebay VS Craigslist

wrote:
Maybe it's just me, but when I'm looking at machine tools (lathes &
mills specifically) on ebay & Craigslist, in general I'm seeing better
condition items and better prices on Craigslist.

My theory is that since Craigslist is a local listing service, and the
buyer is going to check it out in person, there is less opportunity for
the seller to mis-represent their goods.

Ebay listings on the other hand give the seller an opportunity to ship
goods that are often pieces of crap. I've been burned enough on ebay
to know what types of items to bid on and what to pass on.

Ed

Craigslist is OK by me!

A few months ago we started using Craigslist here in Boston to find per
diem licensed allied medical professionals at $45 to $65 per hour for
SWMBO's practice. We've been very pleased with the results. We pay
nothing for those ads versus $450-$500 for the inch high classified ads
we used to run in the Boston Globe's Sunday Help Wanted section,
sometimes wiuthout even receiving a nibble in return.

If you're seeking to hire folks, give it a try, you might be pleasantly
suprised.

Most of the clinicians who respond to our ads are in their twenties, and
probably represent that section of the population which isn't reading
stuff printed on paper much these days. G

[Last week I read in a news magazine that street prostitution in some
major US cities has decreased to less than 50% of what it was a few
years ago as a result of the ladies of the night advertising themselves
via Craigslist, with provocative photos, instead of standing on street
corners freezing their tushes off in the winter.]

Last year I used Craigslist to try and sell an unwanted "loudspeaker
chair" and amplifier, a gadget used with video games. It was a leftover
from young son's early teen years.

A scam artist responded and the Devil made me see how long I could scam
him back. My emails are nowhere near as good as the ones I've seen at
bustedupcowgirl.com, but then it was my first and only attempt:

http://home.comcast.net/~jwisnia18/temp/scam.doc

Jeff

P.S. That stupid "loudspeaker chair" never sold, I ended up donating it
to a college which uses music as a means of teaching special needs
students:

http://www.berkshirehills.org/

--
Jeffry Wisnia