Stan Schaefer

Default compressor for auto painting

(dustin) wrote in message om...
im new to painting, but am looking to get started. I have been
looking at a few air compressors, but i really dont know what i am
suppose to be looking for in terms of; cfm, psi, tank size, or
horsepower. i found one with 4.4cfm@90 psi - 11.1cfm@40 psi- 125psi
max - 21 gallon tank - 4.5 hp. Is this going to be adequet for auto
painting, please help!

You're going at it backwards, look at the gun you want to use and size
the compressor accordingly. You also need to know the material you
want to spray, some guns need a lot more air for heavier paints. I
used a compressor about the size you quoted for doing a VW, I had to
use a touchup gun and do one section at a time. The VW design let me
remove the fenders and doors, they could be easily prepped and sprayed
in the best position that way. It was slow, but I got it done. The
larger spray guns use a lot more air than what that little compressor
can supply, spray a lot wider pattern, too. I am limited to what the
electrical system in this house will handle, so I'm stuck with this
dinky compressor.

Stan