Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
jw

Default Machine Tools on ebay VS Craigslist

Ignoramus12493 wrote:
On 21 Apr 2006 12:46:29 -0700, wrote:
Maybe it's just me, but when I'm looking at machine tools (lathes &
mills specifically) on ebay & Craigslist, in general I'm seeing better
condition items and better prices on Craigslist.

My theory is that since Craigslist is a local listing service, and the
buyer is going to check it out in person, there is less opportunity for
the seller to mis-represent their goods.

Ebay listings on the other hand give the seller an opportunity to ship
goods that are often pieces of crap. I've been burned enough on ebay
to know what types of items to bid on and what to pass on.

If I was to describe what I see on craigslist I would say "overpriced
junk, unreasonable sellers". I am happy that your experience is
different. I rarely look at craigslist anymore.

I'm with Iggy on this one. 99% of what I see listed on Craigslist I
wouldn't have bothered to take the time to take a picture of.

Prices seem to be fishing trips to see if anyone is interested. Old
stuff for big money.

I did sell my car on Craigslist. I thought it worked well. Except for
some "uneducated" buyers. A $500 beater is exactly that. One kid came
to look at it and was upset that it wasn't in perfect shape. I had to
nearly force him to listen that it was drivable, but not perfect. He
was mad that I wasted his time. I wasn't the one who drove 2 hours
without asking any questions. The only question he asked was, "where
is it?".

JW