Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
yourname

Default Shop A/C solutions...

Dave Lyon wrote:
In your case, your current AC units are spending a fair amount of time
and energy ($$) pulling water OUT of the air.

Are you saying that the act of drawing the moisture out of the air uses more
energy? I was under the assumption that dehumidifying the air was just a
nice byproduct of running your AC unit.

Of course it does, most of the energy by some accounts. The air cannot
get cool until the water is out. Thus opening the door is a BAD idea.

If I understand what you are saying, a room at 90 deg will be cooled quicker
and easier by an AC unit if the humidity in that room is low than it would
if the humidity was high?

Absotootly

AC notes;
My ~2400 sq ft shop that cost ~2k to heat in a new england winter last
year is kept generally below 80, and DRY by a single 24k btu wall ac
unit. I plan on adding some more, probably a mini split later

AC is a lifestyle; you turn it on in june and off in september. You shut
the windows and doors unless it is really cool and dry out. You NEVER
shut it off. I will turn mine on energy saver at night[fan is only on
with compressor]

The AC in your car is as big as the one in your house so it can pull the
tiny confines of the car down to 70 in a few minutes.

I find people who complain about the cost to heat the house, but sleep
with the window open and how their ac 'sucks' but they keep the door
open for some fresh air........