Ted Edwards

Default newbie has a welder

Gerald Miller wrote:

It's a bit of a bodge and I would never wire any power connections
that way, but I've found that doing this for motorcycle wiring
has two advantages: 1) the solder will wick into the
stranded wire for a way, and prevent work-hardening and
fracture near the crimp connector, and 2) it prevents corrosion
at the crimp when the connector will be exposed to rough
environment.

You might consider crimping the connection and then applying two layers
of heat shrink tubing. The first is the two layer stuff where the inner
layer melts while the outer layer shrinks. If you heat from the middle
toward the ends, this will give an excellent seal. The second is
regular flexible heat shrink somewhat longer than the first
application. The net result is a well sealed connection with a flex
relief somewhat like those tapered rubber ends mold on factory
connections.

Ted