Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Philips 28" telly repair

Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article ,
Doki wrote:
My Dad's TV, a Philips 6315 (IIRC, 28" Widescreen), has packed up. I
think it's something to do with the degaussing circuit as the screen
has occasionally flashed up red when turning on, and the colours have
drifted whilst watching as if the deguasser isn't working properly.
Turning the TV on and off has sorted the problem, but now the TV won't
turn on. The problem is, we can't find anyone who'll repair a telly.
Does anyone know one round North Derbys / South Yorks / North Notts?
Any ideas on whether it'll be cheap or dear would be handy, as it could
be new telly time if shops charge a ridiculous amount to look the tv
over.

Unless things have changed, it's nearly always the power supply with
Philips TVs when they die completely. And they're so damn complicated you
often have to buy a repair kit containing all the ICs. This was the case
with my 28" 4:3 Matchline at only 5 years old. It would go to standby, but
no further. I checked all the caps in the PS with an ESR meter and they
were fine. The kit did the trick but cost 80 quid. Paying a pro to have it
sorted wouldn't have been worth it.

The trouble with modern smpsus is they check various things and wont
start if they dont get the right answers back. So smpsu faults are
somtimes down to the LOP stage. It stops fires but makes trouble
shooting more complex.

I know nothing of the details of your particular psu, but years ago I
tried replacing an smpsu with a light bulb... and yes, it worked ok. No
regulation of course, so the picture settings would vary a bit
according to picture brightness, but it was quite acceptable for a used
set. I doubt that kind of thing would be well received in the current
era of pixel perfect settings, but it is sometimes a way to make a
passable set out of a dead one. Parts cost about 20p.

In case youre wondering, I did it as much as a challenge as anything.

NT