Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
John Husvar

Default Climate of Fear - Global-warming alarmists intimidate dissentin...

In article .com,
" wrote:

Eric R Snow wrote:

Greetings Lew,
And we still call 'em tin cans. But I can't recall even seeing a tin
plated steel can. However, I do remember some tin, not tinned, cans at
an antique store.

Then I happen to glance in a mirror and say to myself: gee I'm
OLD TOO.
Eric

I can remember a college prof saying that there was more RF power in
one plant making tin coated steel for cans than all the broadcasting
stations in the U.S.

Dan

Could be/have been! I recall seeing power amplifier tubes from Tin Mill
2 induction heaters at Weirton Steel, supposedly removed for rebuild.

They were freakin' HUGE! I wanted one for my ham transmitter, but Dad
said we couldn't afford the electricity just to light one up.

They were big, with globular glass sections about 4 inches high atop
about 2-1/2 inch diameter by 12 inches or so metal, can which apparently
was the plate. The "pins" were braided wire pigtails.

I'm guessing the guy who told me they didn't just discard these things
was truthful. They were supposed to be very expensive.

Weirton Steel Tin Mill 2 in the 60s and 70s had the reputation of
producing the best tinplate in the world.