Posted to uk.d-i-y
Harry Bloomfield

Default Philips 28" telly repair

Doki has brought this to us :
My Dad's TV, a Philips 6315 (IIRC, 28" Widescreen), has packed up. I think
it's something to do with the degaussing circuit as the screen has
occasionally flashed up red when turning on, and the colours have drifted
whilst watching as if the deguasser isn't working properly.

The de-gauss circuit only works once, when you first power the set up.
It should not normally need to be used, except when the sets position
is changed.

Turning the TV on
and off has sorted the problem, but now the TV won't turn on. The problem is,
we can't find anyone who'll repair a telly. Does anyone know one round North
Derbys / South Yorks / North Notts? Any ideas on whether it'll be cheap or
dear would be handy, as it could be new telly time if shops charge a
ridiculous amount to look the tv over.

Probably because TV's are so cheap to purchase new, are so very
reliable these days and capable engineers plus parts are relatively
expensive. 'Won't turn on...' usually means a fault on the power
supply.

Consider buying a new one versus the likely cost of repair.

--

Regards,
Harry (M1BYT) (L)