Posted to uk.d-i-y
Dave Fawthrop

Default Loosening plastic waste water trap

On 21 Apr 2006 07:49:35 -0700, "Clive" wrote:

|Hi,
|
| The water from my hand basin is draining really slowly. I think the
|waste trap is clogged with hair. the trap is white plastic and slightly
|"hidden" behind a tall, porcelain pedestal beneath the bowl.

| I have tried to unscrew the trap using my hands but it is difficult
|to get an effective grip - and the trap seems jammed tight. How can I
|loosen the retaining nut on the water trap? The space beneath the bowl
|and behind the pedestal is quite tight and I can only get one hand
|round about one hald of the external surface of this plastic nut. Once
|it has moved half a turn I am sure the trap will unscrew easily.

Use a strap wrench. BoaConstrictor ones with a rubber strap are commonly
available. A real tool shop will sell you a better one. A strap wrench
is a very useful tool and IMO should find a place in every tool box.