Posted to uk.d-i-y
Dave Plowman (News)

Default Philips 28" telly repair

In article ,
Doki wrote:
My Dad's TV, a Philips 6315 (IIRC, 28" Widescreen), has packed up. I
think it's something to do with the degaussing circuit as the screen
has occasionally flashed up red when turning on, and the colours have
drifted whilst watching as if the deguasser isn't working properly.
Turning the TV on and off has sorted the problem, but now the TV won't
turn on. The problem is, we can't find anyone who'll repair a telly.
Does anyone know one round North Derbys / South Yorks / North Notts?
Any ideas on whether it'll be cheap or dear would be handy, as it could
be new telly time if shops charge a ridiculous amount to look the tv
over.

Unless things have changed, it's nearly always the power supply with
Philips TVs when they die completely. And they're so damn complicated you
often have to buy a repair kit containing all the ICs. This was the case
with my 28" 4:3 Matchline at only 5 years old. It would go to standby, but
no further. I checked all the caps in the PS with an ESR meter and they
were fine. The kit did the trick but cost 80 quid. Paying a pro to have it
sorted wouldn't have been worth it.

--
*What was the best thing before sliced bread? *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.