Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking
Richard Heathfield

Default What is it? CXI

Bruce T said:

I can tell you that Item 643 is a very effective device for teaching
recent
high-school graduates that a college education is a GOOD THING. Speaking
from practical experience, a four hour stint (with two other young and
healty teen-age males) carrying said device (filled with moartar) up a
series of ladders to an older Italian gentleman laying brick gave me
first-hand experience. The Italian brick layer knew no conversational
English that we could discern (save for "faster" and "more mud", but he
had
a vocabulary of English cuss words that would astound Roget. By noon, the
three of us were so tired we could barely crawl to our cars to run away
and
hide. I never went back. I wrote my wages off to experience, and over
the ensuing fifty years, never regretted it for a moment.

I suspect many people have similar had experiences.

It is a very liberating feeling, when working in such an environment, to
just sidle up to the corner and then KEEP ON SIDLING until you're round
another corner, and then just run for it and, as you say, to hell with the
wages. Alas, only the very young and the very old can normally afford to
get away with it.

--
Richard Heathfield
"Usenet is a strange place" - dmr 29/7/1999