Peter Grey

Default What are the size limitations of mini mills?

Thanks.

Peter
"Leo Reed" wrote in message
Peter wrote:

"... I'm just trying to decide if I can get by with a mini mill or if I
need to buy an RF-30 machine...."

No one seems to address the mini mill vs. the Drill mill (rf-30)
question.

Never used a RF-30... impressive machine... too big for my shop. But the
round column does not impress me.

The mini-mill (from sieg) does not have a quill. It has a rectangular
cast iron column with dovetail ways for the mill head to slide upon. The
head is raised or lowered as needed. This has the advantage of keeping
horizontal alignment when replacing tools, chucks etc.

The working envelope is around 9 x 4 inches. All cast iron construction.
The spindle speed is variable between 0 and 2500 rpm.

I like my mini-mill. Of course, my opinion is colored by someone who did
his milling on a drill press before I got my mini! 8-)

Leo (pearland, tx)