Posted to alt.home.repair
Joseph Meehan

Default electrical outlet problem

ljb wrote:
There are two outlets in my family room that don't work, the rest work
fine. All of them are on the same circuit. I know for certain that
at least one of these worked at one time, and then stopped. The two
are next to each other, i.e., approximately 5 feet apart. I have
pulled both outlets, rewired them, and then changed outlets when the
first action didn't work. Still, neither outlook is working. I have
not tested either with a meter, but only by plugging a radio into the
outlet.

One outlet has two wires coming into the box, and the other has one.

Any suggestions what I should do next?

To add to what Sev and ljb wrote, if the wires are stuck in the back of
the outlet, I suggest you move them to the side screw terminals. The back
stab things tend to cause problems.

If you have aluminum wire, you have a bit of a problem You man need
special treatment. Come back and ask about that if you find aluminum wire
rather than copper.

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia duit