Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Arfa Daily

Default Commodore 64 defect?

"budgie" wrote in message
On Thu, 20 Apr 2006 17:01:11 +0100, mistermaniac
wrote:

An friend just contacted me about his old (But RETRO!!) Commodore 64
which emitted a lot of smoke when he turned it on. I got a picture of
the mainboard, which in my opinon not much good, looks like moisture,
but i am not sure. Who can give an correct answer?

If you're concerned about the ripples in the copper, don't be. That
generation
of pcb's typically showed that result from heat buildup during the wave
soldering on the large blank copper areas. Normal design practice was/is
to use
check-pattern or similar ground plane to avoid the heat buildup and copper
delamination.

Apart from that, I can't see anything in particular.

I agree. I see no particular signs of moisture damage either. If it smoked,
where from ? Plug it back in, and see what smokes again, or just gets hot if
it's all outa smoke. Nothing to lose, as it's currently bolloxed anyway ...

Arfa