Posted to uk.d-i-y
The Natural Philosopher

Default Mixing Freeview and Cable TV to domestic disbn sys?

T i m wrote:
Hi All,

Once I had an TV aerial in the loft, distribution amp in the bedroom
and TV outlets in most rooms and all was well.

Then NTL came along and gave me my std terrestrial chans again (+ Ch5
FWTW) plus a few more, so removed the aerial connection and fed the
distribution amp from the cable box and all was well (and because it
was a nice analog STB we could watch any terrestrial chan or the
'Cable' chan on any set / video in the house) ;-)

Then came Freeview ..

I bought one specifically that had a modulated RF output but I now
have a dilemma re sources and outlets ...

By definition I have to take the initial *cable* feed into the STB and
from there it could go to (through) the Freeview box and that would
pass through the std terrestrial and decode the digital chans and add
it's own UHF channel from that but I assume the Freeview signal
wouldn't be present on the cable?

Both the Freeview and Cable boxes have SCART outputs which are fine
for getting either signal to the non SCART TV in the lounge (near all
the boxes) via the video player.

So, is there a (semi domestic priced) distribution amp thingy that
would say take a SCART input and 'inject' (for want of a better
description) it's own additional UHF slot into the existing system
please?

Maplin do this which I think might fit the bill:

http://tinyurl.com/ob9rr

So, to use that I assume my system would go ..

Aerial Freeview box Modulator with Cable box SCART'ED in
distribution amp house TV's ?

The Freeview box would 'add' the decoded digital chan output to the
base analog signals then the modulator would add the output of the
Cable STB to that (but I could only view the base terrestrial channels
plus the single selected Freeview chan + single Cable chan on all the
remote TV's).

But would the entire digital TV band be passed through everything for
the Freeview decoder cards in the PC's (also off the (fairly old)
distribution system)?

All the best ..

T i m (now with a headache). ;-)

I simply have added freeview boxes/TV's to the loft mounted UHF antenna
via a labgear thingie.

I did a cost benefit analysis on piping various signals round the place,
and frankly, it aint worth it, One TV, one freeview box,and share the
aerial.