Posted to uk.d-i-y
somebody

Default hiring a stone crusher (or how to reuse old concrete)

In message .com, Fitz
writes

somebody wrote:
In message .com, Fitz
writes
Hello all,

Glad to say the garden has benefited from a nice long easter weekend.

I've got a big pile of old concrete I've taken up from a knackered path
that was cracking and ugly. I'm wondering whether I can save the money
I might pay for a) a skip and b) 'crusher run'/bulk bag of hardcore for
the planned patio by crushing all the left over concrete.

I did the same last year by hiring the HI-C40 machine from TCP. GBP
120+vat day hire but I managed to wangle a weekend for a days rate.

http://www.tcp.eu.com/

Bloody hell. That's exactly what I was imagining. Thanks for that I
will make some enquiries into prices and work out the most cost
effective option.

cheers!

Hi,

Good luck with whatever method you choose. Many have recommended a
sledgehammer and a few beers... to be honest I had thought the same
(although it would have taken more than a *few* beers for 25 tons!).

You asked about 'type 1' and various 'gradings'. I cant profess to know
anything about different gradings but can say that

http://www.pavingexpert.com/subbase.htm

and

http://www.pavingexpert.com/faq_subbase.htm

give some good descriptions of how a sub base actually works. Bear in
mind that for a proper base (such as compacted type 1) the 'material' is
something like '20mm to dust' (pavingexpert does a good job of
explaining why).

The HI-C40 crusher has adjustable output of minimum 20mm rocks up to
about 90mm rocks and outputs the various dust and fines in between. When
you see pavingexperts charts of the proportions of fines to smalls to
rocks for a solid base you see why it is so important.

What I'm trying to say (whilst going right off course) is that sledge
hammered hardcore does not a sub base material make :-) If you're
putting down a few slabs for a path then it most probably doesn't matter
- chuck in whatever you've got. If you're putting down 60 sqm of patio
on a hill where the slope means that one end needs over a metre of
infill/base then it probably is critical (now you see where the 25 tons
went!).

Hth
Someone