Posted to sci.electronics,alt.electronics
Eric Sears

Default Where to find a few 120V indicator indicator lights?

On Thu, 20 Apr 2006 15:30:36 -0500, John Fields
wrote:

On Thu, 20 Apr 2006 11:14:59 GMT,
(Eric Sears) wrote:

John - many thanks for your post! I have a power supply with a neon
that is so dim I can hardly see it in daylight. I had assumed the neon
was faulty.

---
Your assumption was correct.

Thank you also John F for your correction! While it was good to be
alerted by the previous poster that I MAY have been barking up the
wrong tree, the actual solution is the pull the thing apart and FIND
OUT what's wrong!

It can't be too difficult to fix a circuit consisting of two
components (famous last words).
---

Changing the resistor will be much easier (provided I can
read its value). But I guess I could just experiment starting with
high values until it glows ok!

---
Unfortunately, by doing that you'll be needing to replace resistors
with higher and higher wattage units more and more often as the neon
lamp races, ever faster, to its final reward.

I guess it wouldn't be a bad idea to measure the current drawn by the
neon/resistor combination. What is typical? A few mA I suppose?
---

To Ted - sorry I am in NZ.

---
I can't imagine why, I've heard that NZ is paradise... :-)

I'll rephrase that! I'm NOT sorry I'm in NZ; I'm sorry you'er not here
too, where we could share both the wonderful
tramping/bushwalking/scenery, and I could also share some of my years
of accumulated electrical junk (er "used equipment") with you!!

Thanks for all the comments.

Eric Sears ZL2BMI