Posted to uk.d-i-y
EricP

Default Grand designs

On 20 Apr 2006 09:11:20 -0700, "Weatherlawyer"
wrote:

I think the guy was a genuine person, he had no wealth, diddled the
planners and related to his immediate environment like no other person
on the show. This appealed to viewers like me.

Also, it was fascinating to watch someone *create* a house out of a
few ideas. The chances of it being demolished are zero as it has
attracted so much acclaim. It will probably end up in a heritage park,
next to the saxon house.

The only reason I started watching Wodin's day's programme was because
their false advertising lead me to believe there would be a touch of
the diy about it.

If I want to see the latest tech I'd buy a building magazine, get a
trade brochure or go to see the ideal home insipidion. Bytte whych
manne canne tyrne ye clocke backe.

There is another (daytime) programme that follows people buying homes
abroad. Much the same sort of style but at least the punters get a free
hand with their dosh and sooo much cheaper to buy in ex iron-curtain
states.

I think GD is milking the prime time slot and wouldn't survive there
long if the other channels started showing entertainment. At least I
never sponsored their slot by watching any commercials.

I agree, all I want is a show that *shows* me how to actually do
things.

I mean they are so formulaic. You have presenters Caustic Clown and
Dolly Bigtits, showing how they are going to renovate this interesting
old house. Dolly says "and now, Andy Chippy has a difficult job laying
some flooring", with a 30 second shot of Andy picking up his saw, and
then back to Dolly showing her tits to the plasterers. "Now Fred
Plasterer has to plaster those walls in the lounge", and after he
makes one stroke with the float, we are with Caustic, having banter
with the lads about getting plastered down the pub at lunch time.

And ad infinitum. The only thing you are sure of is that Caustic will
get plastered later and Dolly will get rogered by the plasterers, and
the plumbers, and anybody else passing, but not by Charlie Sparks,
cos he's gay and upset because Andy Chippy is into Dolly.

It's all good stuff really.