Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.solar.thermal,alt.energy.homepower,misc.consumers.frugal-living
Robert Gammon

Default GFX vs home brew

Robert Gammon wrote:
daestrom wrote:

"Robert Gammon" wrote in message
. net...
wrote:
Robert Gammon misunderstands again:

snip

For 'best' performance, you would want to route the storage tank
outlet to the 'cold' tap for the shower as well. This looks like
their 'tempering valve' arrangement. But you might be better off
routing straight 'cold' water from the supply directly to sinks and
laundry, bypassing the whole setup for cold supply to those usage
points. Otherwise you would be wasting some of the captured heat on
laundry, and who wants a glass of warm water to drink. Some more
plumbing :-(

Warm water to drink is not good, BUT neither is really cold water
either. Our preference is for cold water, especially in HOT climates.
However we will usually drink MORE water at a time if the water is in
the 60-70F range than in the 40-50F range. The really cold stuff, we
just sip every now and again. A bit warmer and we'll gulp it down.

So in areas that have 40s year round average cold water inlet temp,
treat the WHOLE house to GFX treated water, raising cold water to 65F
helps us drink more water and has no significant affect on cold water
cleaning performance in the laundry.

Note we almost NEVER use the cold cycle in our laundry, so if Warm cycle
water temp changes from 85F to 95F, so what!!!