Posted to sci.electronics,alt.electronics
Michael A. Terrell

Default Where to find a few 120V indicator indicator lights?

John wrote:

Both neons and LEDs have the same problem - series ballast resistors. These
high value resistors with high voltage drop always drift high over time,
reducing the current and leaving the light dim. The solution? If you can
hack the fitting apart, replace the resistor. Pretty simple job really. I've
never found the neon or LED to have actually dropped in efficiency. It's
always the resistor.

I have never had to replace the resistor connected to a neon, unless
it was broken. I have replace hundreds of bad neons. The metal to
glass seals are not perfect, and the neon and other gas slowly escapes,
causing the lamp to fail. Think about it. A lot of people make their
living making replacement neon tubes for signs that are flickering.

prove it.
Member of DAV #85.

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida