Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
william kossack

Default cherry logs

With logs that large unless your lathe can handle it I'd cut them up
into usable chunks ASAP.

If your lathe can handle it your going to need a way to lift them
anyways so you might look at getting something. For heavy logs I roll
them onto a dolly ie put the dolly near by then stand the log up onto
the dolly. As your new to turning I'd still cut them up and turn
smaller pieces.

Mark Russell wrote:
I have two cherry logs 6 foot long by 24" around. they were cut last
fall at my mother-in-laws house. I recently bought myself a lathe. I
want to turn the logs into turning blanks. I have two issues. First
they have been sitting on ground for six months I'm afraid I have ruined
at least one side of the log. what should I do about that? second I
can't move them with out a crane. So I'm planing on turning them into
bowl blanks but I will not have the time to rough turn all of that wood.
I'm looking for opinions on what I should do the the wood.

please chime in I really don't want to loose that much good wood.

Thanks in advance
Mark Russell