Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Steve W.

Default reversing AC motors?

Why would they run in opposite directions? You want a grinding wheel to
run so that the grinding face is traveling down, that is the same as a
buffing wheel, down and away from you.
--
Steve W.

"Bernard Arnest" wrote in message
oups.com...
Hi,
I'm looking around motor for a grinder. someone pointed out that
compressor-duty motors are non-reversible. I didn't think this an
issue previously, but it occurs to me that if I build a buffing wheel
opposite the grinder, off the same motor, for each to run in the

proper
rotation I would have to reverse the rotation of the motors.

Assuming a conventional, reversible motor (I'm not on the question
of compressor motor or not here), does this involve rewiring the motor
each time? Even if just 10 minutes of work, it would be a nuisance;
since it would not just be a one-time rewiring, but every time I want
to switch between machines. Could I build a simple device that would
rewire it by flipping a switch, if this is the case?

btw, how much more efficient is 3 phase over 2? It seems a
converter is affordable off of ebay, and it looks like it would make
every subsequent motor cheaper, and/or more efficient and
smoother-running?

thanks!
-Bernard Arnest