Posted to uk.d-i-y
The Wanderer

Default Grand designs

On Thu, 20 Apr 2006 12:07:45 +0100, TheScullster wrote:

"Weatherlawyer" wrote

More slip shod reportage that is typical of a programme that should be
named "It's a cock-up" or "Bad designs" certainly nothing grand.

I saw it was about another box and switched over at the first break,
never to return.

...........snip..........

Either my perceptions of this program have changed, or the delivery has
become diluted.
It seems that Kevin now has to close for each advert break with ever more
dramatic cliff hanging rhetoric (sp):
"Do they know what they have taken on here? I'm really not sure!"
Or "The program they have set themselves just doesn't seem realistic" etc
etc

I seem to recollect reading somewhere that the programme's producers want
him to spread doom and gloom throughout, coz they want to hold (the
unthinking part of) their audience with 'will they, won't they fall flat on
their faces'. Having said that, he *always* come up with an anodyne comment
at the end of every prog. " Well, despite not having enough money, despite
not having a clue about project management, despite trying cutting edge
technology, despite resorting to medieval technology, despite this, despite
that, they've managed to come up with a home that is .....[1]"

The programme ain't about cutting edge designs, it's merely another type of
reality TV programme. I've largely given up watching, the only one that
rang my bell was the guy who built his own home in the middle of his own
woodland. Unfortunately, in the follow up prog, he had acquired a partner
and sprog and she was busy imprinting her influence on what had been a
superb home.

[1] Enter whatever description suits your opinion, I tend to favour 'crap'.

--
the dot wanderer at tesco dot net