Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
George

Default Drying Roughed Out Bowls! ! !

"Steve DeMars" wrote in message
news:8rq1g.3570$B42.3361@dukeread05...
Paper bagging, Liquid Dishwashing Detergent (LDD) soaking,
microwaving, cover in sawdust and wait a month or two, boiling
- so many methods of attempting to control drying problems.

Which method above seems to work the best overall . . . I want to get
into
turning but I'm sure watching finished projects crack into firewood will
be
a real turn off.

Reduce the relative humidity around them slowly enough to avoid drying the
surface too much faster than the inside.

I have a basement, and took my humidity gage around looking for the calm,
cool, high-humidity air. Found it exactly where you'd expect it - close to
the floor. The fresh cherry from yesterday is still shedding unbound water
up at chest height, but today it goes to the floor, to stay there until I
need the space. At that point it goes to the rack.

Floor's 80% or better RH in non-heating season. With higher humidity in
summer I sometimes have mildew problems down low, so the dehumidifier comes
on.

Tables equating moisture saturation of wood and air at
http://www.fpl.fs.fed.us/ in the Wood Handbook, chapter 3. Lots of
information on average dimensional change, as well. Use that if you're in a
hurry to get something re-turned. Thinner you start, faster it dries.