Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
DoN. Nichols

Default OT - Start capacitors

According to DT :
In article .com,
says...

The tolerances for start caps is uneven. Something like - 20 % plus
100%. I don't think you will have any problem with using the 43-50
mfd 250 volt. If you rewired the motor for 240 volt operation, it
should still be okay. Typically the start winding is always used on
120 volts.

Thanks. I went down to Surplus Electronics near me and found a 40 mfd 250 v cap
for.

Make sure that it is *marked* as a start capacitor. 40 uf 250V
sounds like a common DC rating, and a surplus electronics place is more
likely to have DC caps than the AC rated ones needed for motor starting
duty.

If it is DC rated -- you'll be lucky if it lasts a single start.

I also discovered the switch on the mixer had gone bad so I picked up a
weatherproof 20 amp switch. Everything works fine again, only ten bucks spent.

O.K. So you *did* get a motor starting cap, not a DC one.
Good.

BTW I find it good practice to have a couple of spares on hand,
since they tend to go out in the middle of a project just late
enough into a weekend so you can't buy replacements until
Monday. :-)

Enjoy,
DoN.
--
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564
(too) near Washington D.C. |