Gerald Miller

Default newbie has a welder

On 9 Nov 2003 15:43:01 -0800, jim rozen
wrote:

In article , Dan Caster says...

DO NOT SOLDER standed wire and then use any sort of pressure clamp to
attach the wire. The solder will cold flow and you will then have a
loose connection.
The loose connection will oxidize and then overheat. Where I used to
work they did an inspection to make sure that no plugs had stranded
wire that had been soldered. They missed a couple of power cords, but
the problem showed up a year or so later.

One way around that is to crimp the connection, and then flow
solder into it afterwards. These don't loosen up after time.
It's a bit of a bodge and I would never wire any power connections
that way, but I've found that doing this for motorcycle wiring
has two advantages: 1) the solder will wick into the
stranded wire for a way, and prevent work-hardening and
fracture near the crimp connector, and 2) it prevents corrosion
at the crimp when the connector will be exposed to rough
environment.

Would silver solder be even better? The reason I ask is that I have
just silver soldered the crimps on a set of battery adapter cables for
second son's UPS. (The free 12V gel cells are too big to fit in the
case)
Gerry :-)}
London, Canada