Posted to alt.home.repair
PipeDown

Default Mysterious sudden large flakes of ceiling paint coming down

This could be a lot of things. Assuming it is not termites or water damage
(you said nothing of stains or smell) it may be a settling problem. Are any
floors creeking more. Are you on a crawlspace, (inspect posts under the
house for one that may have slipped off a pier block). Observe the cracks
and imagine the freaming behind, does it seem like the staircase might be
settling. One or two floor house? This time of year when we transition
from cold to hot and wet to dry, there may be opportunity for settling due
to ground drying out or erosion damage earlier in the year

"chickenlittle" wrote in message
oups.com...
A few months ago I walk into my kitchen and see 3 foot cracks in the
paint on the ceiling. A couple of months later I see large cracks in
the paint in my living room ceiling which is on the other side of the
stairwell from the kitchen. Several months before the first crack I
saw termite swarming up the front wall of the house. I ordered
chemicals for termites dug a trench around the house and poured the
chemicals according to the instructions. I also drilled holes in my
patio and poured poison down the holes according to the instructions.
I have not seen any termites since then. The day before I saw the
crack in the kitchen ceiling I drilled a 1 inch diameter hole through
one of the houses supporting beams to run an internet cable through.
Could a hole that small have done this? I don't see any bowing of the
beam through which I drilled the hole. What is causing the ceiling
paint to come off the ceiling in this way.