Posted to alt.home.repair
James \Cubby\ Culbertson

Default pulling up and reinstalling Hardwood floor

"Xeno Chauvin" wrote in message

"chris jung" wrote in message

It appears you are a "thinking" person.
First let me say laying a wood floor correctly is not
a job it's an art and a craft. ( as is most "finished" work)
With all deference to this group I don't think
you can gain enough knowledge here to do a good job.
Your best bet is to find some good
books on the subject.
If you wish to save money,you might deal with
a floor layer for you to do the demo and disposal work
especially if you live in a city that will pick up
"home owners construction" debris for free.
Mating the different species of wood could be
problematic in laying and finishing due to
grain pattern (stripes),density
and matching the T&G in new and old wood.
Xeno

I agree, to a point. Finish work is definitely an acquired skill but with a
bit of practice, I don't find it hard to complete projects that are every
bit, if not better, than a professional can do. A true craftsman would run
circles around me but it's nearly impossible now to find that person.
Usually it's the hack that shows up and a day later leaves a job that's
worse than what I could have done myself. I just put wood down over my
concrete floor (glue down). The first room came out ok. The last room is
every bit as good as any professional installations I've seen, and better
than most. So to the OP, I'd say give it a try. At the end of the day,
if it doesn't work out, then all your out is a bit of time and maybe
frustration. As well, you will have removed the old flooring and replaced
the subfloor so if you did hire it out, then that work would already be
done. Give it a try on "your least favorite or used" room so to speak to
learn on. And decide from there.
Cheers,
cc