jim rozen

Default newbie has a welder

In article , Dan Caster says...

DO NOT SOLDER standed wire and then use any sort of pressure clamp to
attach the wire. The solder will cold flow and you will then have a
loose connection.
The loose connection will oxidize and then overheat. Where I used to
work they did an inspection to make sure that no plugs had stranded
wire that had been soldered. They missed a couple of power cords, but
the problem showed up a year or so later.

One way around that is to crimp the connection, and then flow
solder into it afterwards. These don't loosen up after time.
It's a bit of a bodge and I would never wire any power connections
that way, but I've found that doing this for motorcycle wiring
has two advantages: 1) the solder will wick into the
stranded wire for a way, and prevent work-hardening and
fracture near the crimp connector, and 2) it prevents corrosion
at the crimp when the connector will be exposed to rough
environment.

Jim

please reply to: