jim rozen

Default What are the size limitations of mini mills?

In article , Harold & Susan Vordos says...

When was the last time you really *checked* your lead screws for errors?

Touché!

I only mention this, because even though my hardinge horizontal
mill *looks* so pristine (!) I would not want to put its lead
screws to any real test against a length standard. They've
seen so much use that I know they're worn over the long run.
I would dearly love to purchase new lead screws from hardinge
but that's gonna run into big big money.

Speaking of deals, I always wanted to own a Sunnen hone. I was trained on
a model 1290-D, so when I found one that I could purchase for less than
$300, I did so. It's now something to behold, after a complete teardown
and restoration. Some things seem to follow you home, no matter how much
you resist! g

Ah, we used to have a sunnen hone in the model shop at work. That
was back in the days when space there was 'free' and one of the
managers was into restoring old aircraft engines. I took a pair
of bmw cylinders to work, and asked if I could use the sunnen.

The manager there replied that it was a bit tricky to use, but
he would be glad to do them for me one lunch hour. "Just don't
let it get around" he said. I had to sort of wander by around the
time I though he would be doing them, and sure enough, he
was doing the bores right there - and about five other guys
from the shop were standing by, giving him comments and advice!
So much for keeping it quiet.

Those sunnen hones do a lovely job. Aside from a tiny groove
at the top, those jugs were straight and round to within tenths.

Jim

please reply to: