Posted to alt.home.repair
PipeDown

Default Whole wall as duct

I would guess; The attic was probably finished as a remodel and someone took
a shortcut routing the heating connection. Is there even a cold air return
for the attic or did they just assume it would flow down the stairs?

If it was an unpermitted remodel of the attic, make sure the joists are
built sufficient for a floor before you load that room with too much stuff
(might not make a good home gym)

wrote in message
oups.com...
I'm pretty sure it's not a cold air return (IIRC, there was hot air
coming out of it last time the heat was on). I agree that it's not a
problem if it's a cold air return, especially if I remove the wiring
that's there. I'll check next time I'm over at the house (I'm not
living there yet).