Posted to alt.home.repair
Norminn

Default How to attach to formica?

maximovies wrote:
When we ordered our manufactured home, we ordered formica countertops
with the idea that in a few years, when we can afford it, we'll upgrade
to corian or granite. But for now, it's a formica top and formica front
edge with a 90 degree edge in front.

My problem is that, because I use a wheelchair, I have to lean my
forearms on that sharp edge all the time and it's hurting like hell.
(We lowered the breakfast bar to 30", and the bathroom counter is also
around that I think.) So I went to Lowes and picked up 3/4 round. I
don't think that's what they call it, but I hope you know what I mean.

It's already finished and almost matches my cabinets. But how do I
attach it? Nail it into the formica? Screw it in? Glue it? (I have a
glue gun that I use for crafts.) Some other way?

For now, I have a small piece (black gaffers) taped in the bathroom to
test it. What a difference. No more pain when I have to lean on the
edge to brush my teeth. So how do I make it permanent? We'll be
measuring and buying enough to do the whole job nicely including
mitering the corners.

Thanks for any help.

Maxi

I would try contact cement. Follow instructions on label. Once the two
pieces touch, after cement applied and dry, they are bonded so careful
placement is necessary.