Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
charlie b

Default Freeze Dried?

Richard Stapley wrote:

Charlie not sure about this I can understand the Loss of Volume of the Ice
Cubes as this will be due to "Sublimation" at the Surface of the Ice,

Sublimation: Passing from solid state to gaseous state directly
without
going through the liquid state.

In a "frost free" freezer, the "gas", in this case water vapor, is
removed
from the freezing compartment - if it wasn't it would condense and
become
"frost". So there is some removal of water - directly from ice.

OR - IF the liquid dishwashing detergent (LDD) method actually gets
the solution INTO the wood, I doubt it would freeze.

but
you also will have an Expansion of Water when Frozen = to 9% of its volume,
this may distort/destroy the Inner Cell Structure of the Wood?

As for the unusual characteristic of water - to expand, rather than to
contract, as it cools, (good thing too or we and other liquid water
based
organisms would never have occurred on this planet) - I believe the
expansion value is closer to 4%. That's in the expansion range of
many
common woods - something solid wood furniture makers have been dealing
with for quite a while (imagine trying to make chairs in Egypt).

But back to quick (relative to air drying) drying - perhaps to
eliminate
the the "ice cracking" potential problem, how about just using the
refridgerator part of the fridge?

charliel b