Posted to rec.woodworking
alexy

Default Wood for workbench question

"bf" wrote:

wrote:
I'm looking to build my first workbench. I was planning to use the Bob
Key style workbench plan in Popular Woodworking as a place to start.

I live in New Jersey, and so far I've found that the construction grade
two-by stock that the local home centers carry are made of "Green
Douglas Fir", which is not kiln dried. The local hardwood dealer
carries kiln dried Eastern White Pine, which is much more expensive,
and I am on a budget for this project.

If you're on a budget, just make a "cube" out of 2 x 4s and then put 1
or 2 layers of 3/4 plywood on top. A shelf on the bottom is a good idea
too. Attach a vise on the front, and you're good to go. If you put two
layers of plywood, you could probably have enough thickness on the top
to use benchdogs. At least that was my plan about 15 years ago,
although I've never gotten around to doing it.

Advantages:
1. cheap
2. you don't worry about getting stain, paint, etc on it.
3. you don't feel bad about on the spot mods.. like bolting a mortiser
on it temporarily, etc.
4. You can get it done fast, and work on furniture.

No offense to the guys that built a solid maple wonder bench, but if
you've got limited time and money, in my opinion, you're better off
just banging something together so you can start to work on the
projects you want to.. Although I can respect people that want a
furnture grade workbench that they can be proud of... I just have a
different opinion.

You should check out the bench the original poster is talking about.
Same objectives as yours. Just a different route to the same (or
similar, since it is more traditional) destination.