Ed Huntress

Default "homemade" tool steel

"Harold & Susan Vordos" wrote in message

Ah, terminology, terminology. Stellite isn't steel, Harold. It's a
superalloy.

What's in a name? g Anyway, it needs iron and carbon in it to be

steel.
Some superalloys contain iron, but they're mostly alloys of nickel,
chromium, cobalt, etc.

Ed Huntress

Carbon in SOLUTION, to be exact, not just carbon. Yep, I know that,

just
as you know that Stellite tool bits are commonly referred to as tool

steel.
You know, like aluminum irons. Makes no sense, but we still say it.

In 30 years in the business, I've never heard of Stellite tool bits referred
to as "tool steel." Jargon and terminology vary all over the industry, like
the names of sunfish to fishermen, but that's one that's escaped me.

Usually, they just call it Stellite. In the aerospace industry, it's
recognized as a superalloy.

Ed Huntress