Harold & Susan Vordos

Default "homemade" tool steel

"Ed Huntress" wrote in message
t...

"Harold & Susan Vordos" wrote in message

"Gary Coffman" wrote in message
On Sat, 8 Nov 2003 16:32:34 -0800, "Harold & Susan Vordos"

wrote:

Great idea, but far from modern high quality tool steel. The tool

steels
of
today are not necessarily just carbon steel and don't necessarily

rely
on
the carbon cycle for hardness. There are tool steels that have no

iron
in
their makeup.

No iron?

Gary

I offer you, for example, Haynes Stellite, which is iron free. It is
comprised of chromium, cobalt and tungsten.

Harold

Ah, terminology, terminology. Stellite isn't steel, Harold. It's a
superalloy.

What's in a name? g Anyway, it needs iron and carbon in it to be steel.
Some superalloys contain iron, but they're mostly alloys of nickel,
chromium, cobalt, etc.

Ed Huntress

Carbon in SOLUTION, to be exact, not just carbon. Yep, I know that, just
as you know that Stellite tool bits are commonly referred to as tool steel.
You know, like aluminum irons. Makes no sense, but we still say it.

:-)
Harold