Posted to alt.comp.hardware.overclocking,rec.video.desktop,sci.electronics.misc,sci.electronics.repair
Richard Crowley

Default Can one "overclock" a CRT monitor's video input bandwidth? Need slightly higher refresh rate than my existng CRT allows...

"Ken Moiarty" wrote ...
My 19" Viewsonic A90's vertical refresh rate peaks out@ 100 Hz for a
resolution of 1024 x 728. For stereo 3-D video viewing purposes, I
need it to display at this resolution at a bare minimum vertical
refresh rate of approximately 120 Hz (though preferabley when I get
another monitor, at about 170 Hz). I could go out and buy another 19"
monitor which purports to be able to achieve the former for only about
$250 (CAD) right now; in which case the current CRT monitor will be
gently laid to rest. So since it no longer matters what happens to my
present CRT monitor since I'm going to replace it anyway, can I ask:
Is there any way to over-ride the monitor's built in refresh rate
limitations (e.g. by tweaking some knobs at the back, or even inside,
or by making simple modifications to a component(s) -only of course
with the guidance and asistance of a licensed monitor technician due
to obvious safety reasons)? Aside from the risk of electrocution to
those who'd be foolhardy enough to attempt such an undertaking on
their own without the proper training and qualifications to go inside
a monitor, is it in any way technically feasible, given the right
personnel, and done cautiously and gradually (much like a CPU
overclocker takes a high risk gamble with the investment in his PC) to
raise the monitor's refresh rate a little beyond factory default and
(say, if given extra cooling) be able to keep it there indefinitely?

No, there is no practical way to do this without extremely
extensive reworking of the circuit design and components.
This is NOT practical even for people who work on high-
voltage CRT circuits all the time, much less for people like
us who only dabble.

The major limiting factor is the horizontal sweep frequency,
and then the frequency response of the video path. The second
of those factors COULD be modified to get higher frequency-
response, but boosting the horizontal sweep frequency is just
not practical for most people. It very likely would involve
modification or replacement of the two most critical components
in the whole circuit (the deflection yoke and the flyback
transformer).

Richard Crowley in rec.video.desktop
Note that this is not really on-topic for r.v.d which is
chartered for discussion of television editing, which
appears to have nothing to do with your question.
Hopefully, you will get more expert advice from one
of the more on-topic newsgroups.