Posted to rec.woodworking
Stephen M

Default cedar v.s. pine clapboards

Is it painted or stained?

If paint, I would use the pine, but I would be sure to seal all of the knots
with 2 coats of shellac. Cedar is more naturally weather resistant, but that
should be moot if the stock is painted.

Always back prime and end prime. I have (painted) pine clapboards on my
addition. After 4 years, there are no signs whatsoever of the paint failing
or the knots beeding through.

If stain, YMMV. Is it clear stock? Knots+stain+different species is is
unlikely to match.

-Steve

"remuddler" wrote in message
ups.com...
I will be building a garage for my daughter this summer. The siding
that is on the house is 10 X 3/4 cedar clapboard, and of course we
would like to match the look. That was the 60's, this is now and the
price of that stock in my area is $4.40/lin ft., making the cost of the
siding about $1000 for one wall of the garage. My daughter located a
supply of pine clapboard that would cost $2.50/lin ft. Can someone
tell me if there is a real downside to using the pine? Will it need to
be treated differently? There will be a good roof overhang plus
gutters to keep water away.