Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Dave Hinz

Default Sorting discs by weight

On Tue, 18 Apr 2006 16:46:35 -0700, Eric R Snow wrote:
On 18 Apr 2006 20:26:51 GMT, Dave Hinz wrote:

I'd like to sort a large quantity of disks by weight.

I wonder if they could be slid down a ramp with a gap in it. Direct an
air blast up through the gap. Adjust the air so that the heavy
pennies drop through while the zinc ones pass on an air cushion. Use a
vibratory feeder to feed the pennies one at a time.

Ah. To McGuyver this a bit further, I have a bank-type coin cointer
with the rotating plate, so I can get pennies one at a time at a rate of
about 7 per second, slower if I change pullies.

Or, use image
recognition and look at the date as they roll or slide past and use a
solenoid to kick the bad ones out.

I'm hoping for low-tech physics type method but if I still worked at GE,
I know exactly which store-room I'd have to raid to pull that sort of
thing off.