Posted to rec.knives,rec.crafts.metalworking

Default fillet knife blade's geometry?

In rec.knives wrote:
You are working with HHS,, Sorry, disreagard everything I said,,
the one I snapped was made from an ancient carbon steel power
hacksaw blade, it was about 1 inch wide by right close to .080
thick if I remember correctly.

Yeah but, your idea of clamping it to a board and squirting water on
it, keeping it drippy wet, is a good one no matter which steel it is.

Tapering tangs on carbon steel knife blanks is more work than the
preliminary hollow grinding (with the hand grinder) on HSS knife
blanks, no sweat but, it don't make the knife cut any better. :/

Did both those last night.

Preliminary hollow grinding (with the little hand grinder) on a
factory heat treated (soft) 8" Old Hickory is much quicker and
easier than the same on my 66+hrc 50100-B.

Tapering the tangs on a couple carbon steel butcher knives last
night... no need for a 45 degree edge to let you know where you
are... there is a need for a hammer and a block of wood tho.
And as big of file as you can get too.

I suppose I need to try to taper the tang on at least one HSS slab
handled knife blank huh? :/

No hammering it straight and no filing it either, not sure how it's
going to go.

Alvin in AZ