Posted to uk.d-i-y
Stuart

Default Fill gap underneath skirting?

On Wed, 19 Apr 2006 12:26:00 +0100, The Natural Philosopher wrote:

MankyManning wrote:
I am redecorating my living room and am probably going to sand the
floorboards as they are in quite good nick really, there used to be
carpet down.

The only slight problem is that under certain sections of skirting
board there is a slight gap between skirting and floorboards (up to 5mm
in some places, other places there is no gap). This would not normally
bother me but my wife **hates** spiders and wants this gap to be
blocked up.

Now I don't have the time to remove all the skirting and refit it so I
was wondering if there was an alternative?

Perhaps a thin strip of cork which could be wedged in all along where
the gap is, should look okay and being cork should squeeze in nicely.
Has anyone heard of doing something like this is does it sound complete
madness? Any ideas where I could buy some cork like that if it sounds
an okay idea?

Thanks.

If the skirting is painted, use decorators caulk, if stained, get a
colored mastic..frame sealant.

Clean of excess caulk with water, and frame sealant possibly white spirit.

You could also consider quadrant moulding either painted to match the skirting
or varnished to match the floor ....Seal the gap first before fitting it ..

Stuart