Posted to uk.d-i-y
Christian McArdle

Default hiring a stone crusher (or how to reuse old concrete)

I might have a go with the sledge hammer and see how quick it is.

That's what I did. Put several nice beers in the fridge before you start.
After crushing a path full of concrete, even Fosters could taste like the
best beer you've ever had. However, it is feasible, at least for the big
bits. I'd still buy some gravel in as well.

I've seen reference to differnt types of 'sub-base' i.e. type 1 etc.
What do I need to know about this grading system in order to buy
approapriate materials for a patio (and given that I'm a nosey sod who
likes to know all the propoer terms for stuff).

www.pavingexpert.com

Christian.

"Fitz" wrote in message
oups.com...

Fitz wrote:
snip stone crushing intro

Any thoughts? I thought some kind of mini-roller based mangle type
thingy on a trailer would be easy to hire for a day

Thanks for all the replies. Looks fairly conclusive that the
technology exists but is not designed for small scale projects like
mine.

I might have a go with the sledge hammer and see how quick it is. In
answer to one post my fitness is reasonable, I'm not at all overweight
and gave up going to the gym a long time ago, prefering to cycle to
work and go walking instead now.

I'm not sure finding a clean hardcore disposal type deal will save
money in the long run because there's probably not enough to fill a
skip and I've got lots of other crap to go in as well. Hiring one to
get rid of everything is going to be cheaper than hiring two with a
reduction on one because of the reuse of hardcore. IYSWIM. I could
try swapping it with someone I suppose.

I've seen reference to differnt types of 'sub-base' i.e. type 1 etc.
What do I need to know about this grading system in order to buy
approapriate materials for a patio (and given that I'm a nosey sod who
likes to know all the propoer terms for stuff).

thanks

--
Steve F