Posted to sci.electronics.repair
David Nebenzahl

Default Rewinding loudspeaker coil

n cook spake thus:

Or admiration of the art of louspeaker making.
46V DC on 8 ohm 10 inch speaker, didn't last long, going o/c.
Decided to try rewinding as I've never tried it before. Found a clean way to
remove the cone from the frame. Desoldered the braid connections. Heating
the frame with a hot air gun and pushing the periphery of the cone with a
well used and rounded wooden kitchen spatula, separated cleanly from the
gummy glue.
Put in spacers to stretch the inner dust diaphragm and hot air gun heating
unglued the periphery of that corrugated disc.
I didn't expect to see what was inside. A burnt mass of wire and the
innermost end of the penetrating lacquered paper cylinder neatly burnt off
in a perfect ring.
Gap in magnet about 66 thou, paper cylinder about 5 thou thick and 2 layers
of about 2 x 30 turns of 6 thou wire (originally). I don't fancy trying to
rewind on a small paper cylinder and fixing to the remnant all with such
XY&Z precision to clear that 2x 25thou slot gap in the magnet.

Possibly impertinent question: wouldn't a guy want to use a mandrel of
some kind to wind the coil on? That way you wouldn't have to worry about
a flimsy paper cylinder collapsing, no? (Like maybe a turned piece of wood.)

--
Pierre, mon ami. Jetez encore un Scientologiste
dans le baquet d'acide.

- from a posting in alt.religion.scientology titled
"France recommends dissolving Scientologists"