Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Richard Stapley

Default Freeze Dried?

Charlie not sure about this I can understand the Loss of Volume of the Ice
Cubes as this will be due to "Sublimation" at the Surface of the Ice, but
you also will have an Expansion of Water when Frozen = to 9% of its volume,
this may distort/destroy the Inner Cell Structure of the Wood?

My thoughts have been towards Vacuum Drying of Timber anyone had ago at
this?

RVS
http://www.laymar-crafts.co.uk

"charlie b" wrote in message
Paper baggging, Liquid Dishwashing Detergent (LDD) soaking,
microwaving, cover in sawdust and wait a month or two, boiling
- so many methods of attempting to control drying problems.

I normally keep a couple of 2 liter cokes in the fridge. But this
evening I had to resort to ice cubes since I'd forgotten to restock
my cold coca cola supply. The ice cube tray was "full" - with
half cubes. Hmmmmm - the tray was filled with water a month
or two ago.

Freeze dried . . . Hmmmm.

Anyone pop a green piece in the freezer - for a couple of weeks
and check the weigth change?

charlie b