Posted to rec.woodworking
Larry Blanchard

Default Wood for workbench question

wrote:

I would suggest making the top out of some kind of hardwood like beech
or hard maple (not soft). I went through this process and ended up
building the base out of pine 2 by material and just put a easily
replaceable top on the frame made of plywood. By the sound of it your
not shooting for a classical workbench so I would just use plywood.

I made my workbench top out of two layers of 3/4" hardwood plywood and
surrounded it with redwood 2x4s. The idea was that if I bumped the
bench with a piece I was working on, the bench edge would dent instead
of the piece. After 15 years or so, the bench is still going strong,
albeit with dented edges :-).

--
It's turtles, all the way down