Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Joseph Gwinn

Default Bursting speed of flywheels (and overspun ball bearings)

In article .com,
wrote:

Joseph,

The balls of the bearing whizzing around do not carry any hoop stress,
but produce a radial outward force on the outer bearing ring analogous
to the internal pressure of a pressure vessel.

Since you are into the arithmetic and I am too lazy to figure it out,
what is the fraction of the outer ring hoop stress due to the orbiting
balls?

None, I think, because the flywheel theory depended only on the surface
speed at the rim of the flywheel, and not at all on what was inside.

Joe Gwinn