Posted to alt.home.repair
Doug Kanter

Default Quadfecta of Problems: Just seeking knowledge

#2. Ground erosion near the crack in #1.
#3. Ground erosion on the side of the garage. The grass has never grown
well in that area.

For all of these areas, I'd plant pachysandra. People say that after a
nuclear war, only cockroaches will remain. Add pachysandras to the list.
They're truly bulletproof plants. They'll do fine in shade, full sun, and
anything in between. Just give them reasonably decent soil (almost
anything
except construction rubble). They're evergreen, too. Their wide leaves
help
break the force of falling water, thereby helping to keep soil in place.

They're sold in "flats" - trays full of soil and plants, not little pots.
Use a knife to cut around & between the individual plants. Do this on a
cloudy day, and mist the soil gently, but thoroughly after planting. The
flats seem pricy, but they usually have quite a few plants. And, I
suspect
that you could work some kind of deal with a garden center if you said
you
wanted 5-10 flats.

Funny thing is, I have a frackton of this dark emerald green/blue tint
vining ground cover over on the other side of the house towards the
trees that is indestructible. I haven't touched it as of yet because I
can't identify it. The leaves are small, dark emerald green, with white
veiny pattern in the centers. Anyone seen this stuff before?

-=Chris

Some pachysandra have a bit of white in the leaves. Compared to the lead in
a standard yellow pencil, how thick are the stems closest to the ground? Or,
got a garden center nearby? Take a piece there for identification. If it's
pachysandra, you've got a free source of plants.