Posted to alt.home.repair
Jeff Wisnia

Default GARAGE DOOR STILL OFF CENTER !!!

Ron in NY wrote:

Hi all,

About a month ago, I posted a question asking what might make one of my
garage doors be off center. All of the answers I got said that a weak spring on
1 side might do that. Well, I got 2 new matched springs yesterday, and installed
them---same problem--the door is rubbing against 1 of the tracks as it goes up.
I tightened the cable on that side to give it more tension, but no difference. I
then switched the springs, left to right, and still no difference.

All of the rollers are free, both to rotate and to slide in or out. The door
is not warped, and the tracks still look perfect--not bent or warped. I can push
the door sideways and center it, but as soon as it starts to move, it slides to
1 side. What could cause this problem, beside a weak spring ??? My other garage
door is perfectly centered with no problems.

RON.
Remove the ZZZ from my E-mail address to send me E-mail.

How badly is your house tilted to one side, Ron?

Just kidding, but If diddling with the spring tensions isn't helping at
all I agree it's time to check the orientation and parrallelism of the
rails, you may find some suprising differences there.

HTH,

Jeff

--
Jeffry Wisnia